List of Important Nuclear & Space Research Centers in India:
|S.No.||Nuclear and Space Research Centers||Location||Year of Establishment|
|1.||India Rare Earths Limited||Aluva (Alwaye), Kerala||1950|
|2.||Uranium Corporation of India||Jadugoda, Jharkhand||1967|
|3.||Atomic Energy Commission (AEC)||Mumbai||1948|
|4.||Electronics Corporation of India||Hyderabad||1967|
|5.||Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC)||Trombay (Mumbai)||1957|
|6.||Radio Astronomy Centre||Udhagamandalam (Ooty), Tamil Nadu||1968|
|7.||Tata Institute of Fundamental Research||Mumbai||1945|
|8.||Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics||Kolkata||1949|
|9.||Nuclear Fuel Complex||Hyderabad||1971|
|10.||Nuclear Power Complex||Mumbai|
|11.||Centre of Earth Science’s studies||Thiruvananthapuram (Trivendrum), Kerala||1978|
|12.||Physical Research Laboratory||Ahmedabad||1947|
|13.||Space Commission||Bengaluru (Bangalore)|
|14.||Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre||Thiruvananthapuram||1963|
|15.||Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)||Bengaluru (Bangalore)||1969|
|16.||Space Application Centre||Ahmedabad||1972|
|17.||Thumba Equatorial Rocket Launching Station||Thumba (Kerala)||1962|
|18.||Indian Scientific Satellite Project||Bengaluru (Bangalore)||1972|
|19.||College of Satellite Communication Technology||Ahmedabad|
|20.||Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics||Kolkata||1949|
- Vikram Sarabhai was the main person behind India’s first satellite Aryabhata.
- Very few people know that, it was Vikram Sarabhai’s efforts that brought television to India with his consistent communication with NASA.
- He was the main person behind the genesis of Operations Research Group (ORG) which was the first market research organization in India.
- V ikram Sarabhai convinced the Indian government to set up Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO).
- The Budget of ISRO is much less than many other countries space organizations, still ISRO is doing a good job! ISRO made itself gleam by creating the cheapest mission to mars. Its Mars Orbiter Mission cost about ₹450 Crore (US$73 million), with an average of ₹12/km travelled.
- ISRO has also developed various satellites to monitor the weather situation around the country. Its INSAT-3DR is an advanced meteorological (weather observation) satellite to provide the necessary inputs required for accurate weather forecasting.
- BARC handles all facets of nuclear power generation.
- Bhabha got recognition initially after he devised the correct expression for scattering electrons, by the process he devised, called Bhabha scattering.
- BARC designed India’s first pressurized water reactor of 80mw capacity at Kalpakkam
- The organization played a significant role in making India the 6th country in the world to have a nuclear submarine.